Project: Songdo Monument
Songdo is a very fine city in South Korea. Like many modern cities around the world, Songdo is full of wonderful buildings designed by talented architects and engineers. Songdo continues to build up towards the sky as it redefines itself. It is indeed a city of the future in our present times.
Despite all the wonderful buildings that line up along the city's majestic roads and masterplanning, Songdo still lacks a few markers that would make it complete as a modern international city. Songdo does not have any special monument that it can claim for itself. The city of Incheon has the statue of the "Unknown Soldier" at the Incheon Landing Memorial, the city of Seoul has the "Statue of Brothers" in the Korea War Memorial, the city of Cheorwon has the "Battle of White Horse Memorial", and the city of Nakdonggang has the humble "Monument to Freedom and Victory".
The Chadwick International Middle School (CIMS) teachers in this project believe that monuments make cities more meaningful to its residents. Monuments bring life to a city — bringing people close together, warming hearts, calming minds, and instills a sense of pride in its people. With this belief, the teachers in this project have issued an action campaign to get residents and visitors to submit their ideas for a monument design for the City of Songdo. Continue reading for the details of this community project challenge.
Monuments Around Korea
Unknown Soldier Monument ~Incheon~
The touching monument to the Unknown Soldier at the Incheon Landing Memorial in the City of Incheon
Korean War Memorial
Monument of ________
Guidelines for Project: Songdo Monument
- This design campaign is open to all local and foreign residents of South Korea. Special preference is given to residents and students of Songdo. The "designer" (you) will use the MYP Design Cycle throughout this project.
- For students participating in this campaign, your teachers will assist you in this project.
- Following is a summary of the project:
- The teachers heading this project have identified a special space in Songdo's Central Park. The action challenge for the city of Songdo is to build a world-class monument in this space — a landmark that commemorates an event, is a source of inspiration, symbolizes a feeling or sense, or represents ideas. The teachers in this project are currently receiving proposals for the monument design.
- Keep in mind that the point of the project is to design a monument that commemorates an event or sense. For instance, you can design a monument that memorializes a war or a monument that symbolizes healing and peace.
- Further details and updates about the project will be posted on this site. Check back from time to time.
- ALL design entries will be reviewed by the CIMS project teachers and they will be posted on this website for the enjoyment and pride of Songdo residents.
- Students at local Korean and international schools are encouraged to take up this challenge and design something important for the city.
Submission Deadline for Project: Songdo Monument
- FINAL DESIGN PROPOSALS for "Project: Songdo Monument" are to be submitted on November 14, 2016. Details will be updated soon.
- FINAL DESIGNS should be submitted by email to: <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
Site: Special Reserved Space for the Songdo Monument
Above: Special location designated for the Songdo Monument
Vision: Artist's Rendition
Above: Artist's version of the Songdo Monument for Peace